Monday, March 19, 2007

Max Lucado Announces He’s Stepping Down as Senior Pastor

image Max Lucado Announces He’s Stepping Down as Senior Pastor

The best-selling author of Christian inspiration and advice books has heart problems. He plans to stay at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, but not as pastor. Here's the letter he wrote the church:

March 5, 2007

Dear Oak Hills Family,

I pray this letter finds you in the midst of the greatest day and sweetest season of your life! Our God is indeed faithful.

I’d like to update you on some recent health developments and a resulting decision from the Oak Hills elders. While my spiritual heart is in a wonderful state, my physical heart has developed some irregularities. We have high hopes for complete healing; yet, I need to make some lifestyle adjustments. I have already begun reducing my leadership responsibilities. I still plan to bring the weekend messages, but will opt out of some of the weekly meetings.

My health concerns have also prompted a decision to inaugurate a succession plan. Though I have always known that, at some point my responsibilities would change, I had envisioned this happening years from now. However, these health concerns have moved up the timetable. I wholeheartedly (excuse the pun) feel it is time to identify and invite the next Senior Minister. Oak Hills needs a healthy, full-time servant in this position. Upon his selection, I will turn my attention to doing more what I love to do the most: writing and preaching.

I have no intention of leaving this great church, but simply altering my role in it. Yes, this is a major step, but one that will benefit the health of us all.

Would you pray for God’s guidance in this process? I know you will. Of course, we will keep you apprised of any developments. Thank you for being a lighthouse to San Antonio. May God bless you richly.

Your brother,

Max Lucado

No comments: