Saturday, April 22, 2006

Letters to a Young Brother.

Letters to a Young Brother. The book is part memoir/part motivational tool for young men and is all about the issues surrounding the transition from "boyhood" to "manhood."  Click here: Letters to a Young Brotha Foundation. ‘Letters to a Young Brother, MANifest Your Destiny.’ It’s hot on the heels of the much-talked about New York Times piece  Click here: Plight Deepens for Black Men, Studies Warn By ERIK ECKHOLM  that painted a very dismal (and frighteningly familiar) picture of the state of black males in America. check out this audio excerpt. Listen to the Hill Harper interview. You can listen to the interview here. http://us.video.aol.com/audio.full.adp?pmmsid=1626242. You can read the full excerpt right here.

Dear Young Brotha, 

What’s up man? So I got your letter. And as much as I hate to admit this, you are right. I probably would not have written you back. At least not so soon. I often fall into the trap of thinking I’m so crazy busy that I can unknowingly get bogged down with the daily business of life.

But, something in your letter, your vibe, your tone, caused me to stop and pay attention. It troubled me that at such an early age you already expect the worst from people. More than that, you remind me of myself at your age. Just like you, I had gotten used to people letting me down. At times, it even made it hard for me not to give up on myself. Your letter hit home with me, man. It forced me to remember what it was like to be a young man in need of things I couldn’t always put into words. I know what it’s like to be confronted with multiple roads you could choose to walk down; some positive, some negative. So, yeah, I’m doing what you said I wouldn’t do. I’m writing you back, and there’s so much I want to share with you. (Click to continue reading ...)

No comments: