Wednesday, May 7, 2008

'Best Advice I Ever Got'

Michael Bloomberg
Mayor of New York City, founder of Bloomberg LP

I can't remember who told me this, but I certainly didn't grow up knowing it, so I must have gotten this advice at Salomon Brothers in the 1970s. The advice was, first, always ask for the order, and second, when the customer says yes, stop talking. The worst advice that people can take is to react before they've had a chance to think. I think we all say things and wish we hadn't said them. Ready, shoot, aim is not the smartest policy.
·         Eileen Collins
Space Shuttle commander, Columbia (1999) and Discovery (2005)

When I was a young child and teenager, my father drilled one thing into my head over and over again: "Do what you to do; whatever you think is right. Don't follow the pack." That's tough advice for a teenager, but it's what made me take flying lessons when I was 19. I've never really wondered what my father's motivation was. I do know that he was astonished that I went into the military to fly airplanes and became an astronaut.
·         Nell Minnow
Editor and co-founder of The Corporate Library

The single best piece of advice I ever got about my job was to work part-time. I was pregnant with my first child and getting ready to go on maternity leave. I was talking with one of my law school classmates about going back to work and I was thinking maybe I could work mornings. She said, "You'll be much better off working Monday, Wednesday, Friday." It turned out to be a perfect arrangement.
·         Lenoard Lauder
Chairman, The Estée Lauder Companies

The best advice I ever got came from my mother, Estée Lauder: She believed that if you had something good to say, you should put it in writing. But if you had something bad to say, you should tell the person to his or her face. I learned this lesson the hard way. I'm chairman of the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and several years ago, I was angry with one of my trustees. I wrote a letter and signed it. But then I decided not to send the letter. The following Monday ... a temp saw the letter and mailed it.
Next: Joanna Shields
·         Joanna Shields
President, Bebo.com

I go back to things my dad said: "Your career is long and the business world is small. Always act with integrity. Never take the last dollar off the table." You can always do a slightly better deal, but that incremental dollar or windfall isnot worth creating an imbalance that affects the relationship. You have to have the intuition to know when to say, "I'm going to make sure that we walk away feeling like we've both done well."
·         Craig Newmark
Founder, Craigslist

I was a systems engineer at IBM in Detroit. I had a manager who told me that aside from my technical knowledge, my sense of humor was my saving grace. I was sometimes arrogant because I was very technical. It became a problem when I was working within a marketing division, and the culture was hostile to the technical culture. In business there are times when you disagree, and sometimes it turns out that you're just plain wrong. Humor takes away tension and helps you realize you're wrong.
·         Indra Nooyi
Chairman and CEO, Pepsico

My father was an absolutely wonderful human being. From him I learned to always assume positive intent. Whatever anybody says or does, assume positive intent. You will be amazed at how your whole approach to a person or problem becomes very different. When you assume negative intent, you're angry. If you take away that anger and assume positive intent, you will be amazed.
·         Alan Mulally
President and CEO, Ford Motor Company

The best advice I ever received was to have a point of view about the future that focuses on the customer. This advice was why, at Boeing, we decided to move from big airplanes to smaller airplanes that can fly point-to-point, non-stop. Now at Ford, the same advice is guiding us.
Have a point of view. Focus on the customer. Deliver value. Great advice!

No comments: