Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Botswana: Queen of Kwaito Singing a in Tune

Botswana: Queen of Kwaito Singing a in Tune

 

Interview With the Queen of Kwaito

The Voice

Despite having gone through a rough patch in life, Kwaito star Lesego Bile is not your average Motswana girl. The 23-year-old artist is proud to be the first female artist to do a male dominated music genre called Kwaito music.


Despite having gone through a rough patch in life, doing all sorts of unimaginable drugs, having been raped at an early age, being taken for a ride by un-scrupulous promoters, bunking classes and realizing that her step father is not his real dad at a mature age, LESEGO BILE is not your average Motswana girl. The 23-year-old drop-dead gorgeous beauty is proud to be the first female artist to do a male dominated music genre called Kwaito music. She recently opened up to The Voice Entertainment Editor, MOSES MARUPING in this up close and personal interview.

Q. First things first, how do you feel to be renowned as Botswana's first female voice of Kwaito music?

 

Honestly I feel ecstatic. I'm floating on a bubble of my dreams coming true and I'm happy about the whole thing because I'm happy about the way things have turned out.

Q. Is this the genre you've always wanted to do or you just stumbled across it by luck?

I've always wanted to be an artist. Back then, if you recall, we used to have Variety shows where one would get an opportunity to showcase his/her talent and I knew then that I want to be an artist. However since I grew up listening to the likes of Aaliyah, I had always felt I could do Pop music but things changed when Mshoza came along and she really influenced me. It was then that things started taking shape and my Kwaito talent was unleashed. It just turned out that Lesego could actually sing Kwaito.

Q. So the fact that the music genre is associated with the wayward boys who trade by the name of Manyora doesn't concern you? Please explain.

Not at all. My view is that Bonyora le Bopantsula is not the way someone dresses but the way they behave or think. We have different music genres such as Hip-Hop, House music etc and really for me the way I see it everyone can have his/her view or opinion about different tastes of music. The way I see it is that music is just music. What I can tell you is that I grew up hanging mostly with boys sort of a tomboy and this could have influenced me to do Kwaito music. I personally don't have any problem doing male dominated music. It's a challenge and I'm happy people are taking notice.

Q. So is doing music all about having a pretty face or what? Break it down for me my dear.

I don't think so. I feel it's all about having the brains and talent to match the pretty face. Without talent your pretty face is just nothing. That's why you find people who are disabled doing far much better about those with pretty faces. Take for instance our very own Kabo Matlho, Donald Botshelo or internationally the likes of Stevie Wonder and Steve Kekana. At the end of the day I feel it's a good thing when you have everything such as a sense of humour and character to go with your talent. All that is needed is the good vibrations that come out of your mouth.

Q. Is there any particular thing that you'd like to change about yourself?

At the present moment no, I'm feeling all the good and positive vibrations, which come with what I'm doing right now. I appreciate the way things are going right now.

Q. The Kwaito music genre is synonymous with provocative (sexy) dance moves. Is this what really pushes the volumes of many artists' albums?

Yeah! Other artists would take their clothes off on stage just to entice or please fans. Personally I don't do that. I prefer donning my ¾ pants and my Jack Purcell sneaker. I think this is one thing, which makes me different from other Kwaito female artists who like to offer their fans a free striptease show.

Q. Have you ever been booed off the stage and how would you respond to such menaces?

I always try and keep my face up while performing and since I started off I have never received any negative energy from the crowd. I always sing from the heart and I think this is one thing that continues to pitch me where eagles soar. I always feel very comfortable on stage. I'm of the notion that not every show will give you a positive energy and it is how you handle yourself that you can be able to wad it off. You know sometimes I even perform in front of corporate people and being the calm crowd that they are they'd just nod their heads in appreciation. You don't expect them to jump up and down.

Q. How can you tell if a man is interested in the Lesego from Molepolole, or Lesego the celebrity?

I believe they'd always be guys out there who will be genuine with you and love you for who you are and at the same time they'd also be those that just want you simply because you are so and so. What I can tell you right now is that I'm dating this Mauritian man and I'm not looking for anything. I love him genuinely and I trust that he also loves me. We've been dating each other for the past three years and we are now going into our fourth year.

Botswana: Singing a in Tune

 (Page 2 of 3)

Q. What's you view about prostitution, gays and lesbians?

Let me talk about prostitution first. We all know life is difficult and full of challenges and that we all come from different family backgrounds but that's not enough reason for women to start sleeping with others for money. I believe there are so many resources and opportunities that one can actually utilize to make his or her life better. Let's not take the easy way out.

 

With regard to gays and lesbians, I don't have a problem with anyone making a choice in life. Whatever they do is their choice and who am I to oppose to their way of life?

Q. A man who many of our local artists feel he's difficult to work with since he doesn't take nonsense from anybody, David "Skizo" Molosi, discovered you. Please tell me about this man.

Skizo is not a difficult person to work with. I believe he's the type who knows what he wants both as a producer and a man on top. He likes to take charge and see things done in a correct manner and by doing this I don't think it makes one a selfish person. Working with him has brought up something in me, which I never knew I had and I respect him for that.

Q. You look like Lebogang Manwedi, Skizo's longtime girlfriend. Are you guys related?

Not at all. I think everybody out there looks like somebody. I would like to acknowledge because she's the sole reason I am where I am today. She has been very supportive and she helped me in a great manner to get my album out. She even taught me how to present myself and how to behave in public.

Q. What is it that you remember about growing up? Anything worth sharing with your fans?

I'm one of those kids that had it tough in life due to peer pressure. Sometimes I feel that the rough path that I walked on in life has actually influenced me to become who I am today. I was a naughty child who would indulge in alcohol and marijuana. I was raped at an early age. I used to bunk classes and this made my mum cry. One day I sat down and reflected on my life and said to myself, 'where would I want to be in the next five years?' I think it is due to all of these bad things that I was able to persevere and really discover myself. I want to say to the youth that going through a rough patch, that doesn't mean you can't wake up the next morning and make a difference in life.

Q. Could you kindly tell me about your family? I'm told Mike Klinck is your dad?

Yep Mike Klinck is my biological father. I learned about it when I was already this big. Anyway that's just one of life's challenges. I have this lovely mother called Oninki Bile whom I would like to thank for bringing up such a star despite all the heartbreak that I put her though as a kid. I also have a stepfather called Tom Tomic who is a Croatian. I'm what I am because of this man and I would like to say to him thank you for all the things he's done for me. He took me to school and did everything for me. We have a daughter-dad relationship. I also have a sister called Jelena who goes to Rainbow School, Boitumelo and my two nephews who are part of our lives, Junior and Catherine. Mind you, I come from Molepolole.

Q. I see, so you are my home girl. Please tell me about your music album?

My album is called 'Back To Basics' and was released under the watchful eye of David Molosi at Tracks Studio. The reason why it's called that is simply that the music in it has the original Kwaito flair of back in the days. We wanted to take it back to the level that it was before, the olden days of Thebe and Alaska. It tells the story of everyday stuff. The simple things in life!

Q. Please tell us about your newly established company.

Since I tend to dream and think big, I have started this company called 'Slammin' House Promotions', which seeks to fundraise money for charity and do volunteer work. It will also act as a promotions company. I'm not bad-mouthing anybody, but I feel there are promoters locally who don't have a clue what they are doing. I basically want to take promotions to another level. Right now as we speak I have started a project seeking to raise funds for secondary schools by engaging local musicians. Our first stop will be at Rainbow English Medium School and we will then do other schools as far as Letlhakeng. This company was necessitated by the fact that in the past I've worked with promoters who never really satisfied me, hence me saying let me do it and stop burdening people with my workload.

Q. Do you have any last words?

I do believe that everybody has a responsibility to be responsible. HIV/AIDS kills. Too much alcohol or any other intoxicating substance kills. Let's all be responsible. Another thing, especially to the youth, let's all focus in our education so that when things don't work out we can always have a profession to fall back on. I also want to say thank you to David Molosi for finding me. Thanks to Zen Promotions. Before I forget let me also acknowledge Vee, who has made a mark in the entertainment industry. He's a brand despite having gone through so much in life. I respect him for that and I'd one day love to do a song with him.

Botswana: Singing a in Tune

 (Page 3 of 3)

PERSONAL PROFILE

FULL NAMES: Lesego Babe Bile

 

D.O.B: 06 June 1984

P.O.B: Gaborone

Schools Attended: Thornhill, Supreme Educational College, Itsoseng Private School and Bonnington

Motto: In everything you do be real never pretend tobe someone else and never step on people's toes.

FAV FOOD: Bogobe le Mogodu

FAV CAR: BMW Z3

FAV BOOK: I love reading a lot of Jackie Collins' books

FAV LOCAL ARTIST: Vee

FAV INT. ARTIST: Sade

No comments: