Thursday, May 31, 2007

Botswana: 'Artists Against Aids' Say It Loud And Clear

Botswana: 'Artists Against Aids' Say It Loud And Clear


Chippa Legodimo

On Saturday South African disco king Dan Tshanda put his guitar and piano aside, away from the studio microphones and took time to share his views on HIV and AIDS. He was among "Artists against AIDS" who converged on River Walk mall on Saturday to spread the gospel of safe sex, good care and tolerance.

But unlike the other artistes who churned out hits to the masses, the man popularly known as the 'Hit Machine', was only there as a motivational speaker, to talk about the problem of HIV and AIDS. "I love Batswana very much and I know they also love me and would not like to see anything getting between us and if we are not careful AIDS will separate us. But you and I can prevent that by making sure we only engage in safe sex."

 

The 45-year-old reminded the audience that he has always tried, through his music, to educate and warn people about the dangers of AIDS.

"It is not the first time I have touched on this issue. There is an album I produced for Matshikos some years back called Watch Out. The title track is a warning to all my fans to guard against contracting this deadly disease which has made our lives miserable," Tshanda said.

Tshanda also encouraged people to test for HIV so they would make informed choices and get help if necessary. He was scheduled to test in public on Saturday, but the test was postponed. He then pledged P5, 000 to those who would test with him on that day and more than 20 people registered.

"I have tested before and I know my status but I am challenging you now to test with me again. There is no reason for us to get scared because testing and knowing your status is the only way forward and the good thing is that you do not have to disclose your status to everybody you meet," he said.

Nosy Road, which has been missing from action for quite a long time returned at River Walk with a bang, giving rock'n roll fans a rousing performance. Another big giant at the event was Soccer Moruakgomo.

Tshanda and his Dalom family, which includes, Patricia Majalisa, Don B, Sabelo, Dalom Kids and Matshikos will be in the country next week end for the launch of Splash latest offering Springbok.

On Friday, the groups will entertain their legion of fans in Molapowabojang and proceed to Karibu Tena at the Tlokweng border gate for another show.

It will be the first time for Splash to officially launch their album in Botswana despite the fact that they enjoy massive support here. Tshanda explained that this was due to public demand.

"Because a lot of musicians launch their albums here people have been persisting that we do the same. For me to stage a show is expensive but I respect my fans who have supported me all these years, which is why we decided to do it. However, I am not sure if we will be able to do it everytime we release an album because I have so many groups under my stable," he said.

No comments: