Monday, July 3, 2006

Happy New Year Day part 2

7/3/06    Happy New Year Day part3 

 

 

 

Your Halftime
Halftime is a journey -a process of transitioning from success to significance that can happen over months or even years.

Understanding which phase of Halftime you are currently traveling through will help you find the resources you need to keep moving forward, such as ideas, tips, assessment tools, stories, and books.

Where are you in your journey?

 

Stage One

The Foundation of Success

Stage Two

The Journey Inward

Stage Three

Awakening Challenge

Stage Four

Reaching Potential

STAGE 1 Foundation of Success

Moses’ Halftime Journey:Moses grew up in Pharaoh's court and learned what it meant toprosper and have power. Yet Moses reached a point in his life where he questioned his purpose and began to search for something more.

When you are just beginning your mid life experience it is not likely that you even know it is the beginning of a new era in life. Many people who begin to sense something is missing at midlife find it confusing and unsettling.

A significant life event may have triggered this, such as your youngest child leaving for college, the death of a parent, sadly sometimes a divorce, or a significant success or failure in your career can lead to a time of reassessing. For others it is simply a calm stretch of water where we have a chance to look around and see where life has taken us and for the most part we are pleased. We want to celebrate our successes, recognizing that it is the foundation for our second half, but something nagging inside says that it has not delivered what we expected.

Regardless of which door you enter through; there are a handful of common things most people ask themselves at these earliest moments:

  • My first half of life has been somewhat successful, in fact I have accomplished much of what I set out to do, but is there more to life than my current situation?

  • What do I consider to be eternally significant?

  • What on earth would give my life meaning? What is my real purpose on earth?

  • Am I alone in feeling this way?

  • How much (stuff, money, advancement) is enough?

  • Was my first half success a foundation for something more significant in my second half?

STAGE 2 The Journey Inward

Moses’ Halftime Journey:Moses fled from Egypt into the desert of Midian to take refuge and live for a time in solitude and introspection.

Now that you have reflected on the success God has given you in your first half, explored the deep feeling of disappointment having discovered that reaching your goals will not ultimately satisfy, you will begin to wonder if God has created you in a specific way for a specific purpose on this earth. As you explore who God has made you to be you may be asking yourself some of these questions:

  • What am I really passionate about, what makes me come alive?

  • What are my core values and greatest strengths?

  • What is my calling in life, what is my personal mission statement?

  • What role do I play most effectively in an organization?

  • What is my spouse thinking about his/her second half and what is our vision together?

  • If I share this with my spouse will she/he think I am crazy?

  • Is there someone who can come alongside me in this journey and provide wisdom and insights?

  • Who can help me make sense out of this time of life?

No comments: