Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Nigeria: Praise And Holiness Bring Down God's Power - Musician

Nigeria: Praise And Holiness Bring Down God's Power - Musician


Chika Otuchikere

The story of Miss Chioma Emekowa has once again brought to the fore, the trauma young talented women go through in their attempt to breakthrough in life.

The story has also presented another angle of the raging issue of rape and sexual harassment which the national assembly is presently debating.

Chioma Emekowa recently launched a new gospel album into the Nigerian music industry and was full of gratitude to God for seeing her through what she described as "likened to a Carmel passing through the eyes of a needle". According to her, the experience has proven to her that "with God all things are possible".

The Alaenyi-Ogwa in Mabitoli Local Government Area (LGA) songstress revealed how it all started it all started. In year 2005, I joined the Mountain of Fire and Miracles (MFM) in their 70 days prayer and fasting programme. During the programme, I found out that I started getting inspiration for new songs, but I did not take it as anything until I travelled to my village to see my mum. During a morning devotion with my family, my mother noticed that I was singing some new songs, so, she brought a write note book and told me to any song I got. That was how I started composing new songs.

Chioma who said that although as a child, she had nursed the ambition to play music and always wished that she could become like other gospel artistes, she never made any effort to go into music before the MFM programme. "During the MFM programme, I also had a dream where I saw myself singing to a large crowd and healing people through my song. So, that year after jotting down all the songs, went to peolpe that would help me but when I approached them, they all failed me. Just because I would not go into the production of the music I had to drop the songs; I took the book and put it inside my big bag. For three years I kept it.

"In 2007, there was another MFM 70 days fasting and prayer programme, I participated in it. I wrote a prayer point to God, asking God that if he will make it possible for me to produce the music, I am going to serve him all the days of my life. So, in January 2008, I started making a move, this time, without seeking help from anybody. I believed that God could do it for me. With the support of my mother and my sisters, God has done it for me. I did not believe that I could do it when I started. When God is with you no one can be against you."

Chioma, who was full of joy for accomplishment recalled that the journey through the studio was not an easy one as she had to go through days without food in order to achieve success.

"It was really a very tough job. During the production, it was very tough to the extent that I would go to the studio without having money in my hand. I would starve myself for three days and still continued. God is wonderful, He is indeed a miraculous God. Because ordinarily if I want to fast, I would find it difficult to fast but in studio, I would stay without food for days just because I did not have money. The money involved is much just as the stress. I never believed I could accomplish all those things.

Asked if in the face of the difficulties and lack of money, she was ever tempted to do anything immoral to make ends meets, Chioma exclaimed. "Woah! Even when I met some people whom I thought were just good friends and I wanted them to assist me, they would agree to help me but on the condition that I give them my body. Do not always answer them if they say something like that, I just walk out on them, because already I had made a vow in 2007 during the MFM programme that I will serve only my God and I will not give my body to any person. So because of that I ignored them and did not go to them again. My two sisters, Mrs Hegan and Mrs Ogbonna gave me job as home lessons so I started doing lessons teacher. This was the money I used in producing my music and the one my mother gave me later." She said.

Chioma affirms that gospel music has prospects and is a source of blessing to both the singer and the listener. According to her, when a person praises God, blessing are poured down from heaven. "when you play gospel music with your whole heart and keep yourself holy, God is able to do everything for you, Chioma enthused.

She spoke about the seven track album title Okpu Eze, pointing out that the title which literarily means a "Kings Crown" shows that God has finally crowned her since having given her life to Jesus Christ she automatically becomes the child of a king.

One of the tracks, "Power Must Change Hand" also caught the attention of this reporter. Chioma gave an insight into the reason for the tractk. It simply means that as human beings we go through difficulties, but once you give your life to Christ and keep on praying things will begin to change. Whatever difficultiy you thin you are going through as a person or family, the only thing you need to do is to give your life to Jesus Christ, become a new creature and at that moment power has change hands"

Chioma who said she was in need of marketers to help her finance her new album which is already enjoying favourable comments and airtime was full of thanks to her producer Kosy Asikwo, MFM Utako, the Christian Power Centre (CPC), Dawaki and all members of her family".

No comments: