Sunday, July 22, 2007

45th Anniversary of the Tom Skinner Harlem Crusade July 22-29, 1962

 

The 45th Anniversary of the Harlem Crusade

July 22-29, 1962-July 2007

 (Click here add your own Tom Skinner-Harlem Crusade comments and reflections)

 

We are seeking to put together the story of a movement that begin in Harlem 45 years ago. We are seeking those who were part of the movement to tell their perspective on Black  Evangelism/Evangelicalism in the USA. We would to begin with the Harlem Crusade, which was held at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem, NYC from July 22-29, 1962. If you have any information pertaining to your involvement and how that movement may have influenced your present life and ministry. Please contact Phil Bingham, Kingbing1@aol.com or Johnnie William Skinner Jws7150@aol.com ASAP
 
 
Help us find the people, pictures and memorabilia concerning the circa 1962 Harlem Crusades. Send in a comment. (Click here add your own Tom Skinner-Harlem Crusade comments and reflections).
   
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry fellows:

The only thing I might have is a couple of Tom's books and maybe a tape or two.

I heard Tom give his testamony when he was 16.  Our church, Shiloh Baptist in Newark, supported the crusade by thaking a bus load of young peope over.        Hope you get a good response.

God Bless,

Lorraine Winbush Brame

Quemissioner said...

I just happened to come across this post while browsing. I sang in the Harlem Crusade choir. We met every Saturday in Harlem to practice. Vivian Sutton, who later became Vivian Skinner, was one of the instructors. She worked with the alto singers. I met these people in Rev. Acrum's church. I also remember that we used to have Bible study at each others houses. These were led by Tom Skinner, who was a dynamic speaker. This was a great experience for me and totally changed my life around. I ended up going to a Bible college and from became a teacher. I am now a retired NYC principal and work part time at City College in New York. I attribute all that I have accomplished to my choir singing days in the crusade. Lynda Cooper