Thursday, August 16, 2007

Zimbabwe: Music College in Discord With Former Director

Zimbabwe: Music College in Discord With Former Director


John Mokwetsi

FORMER director of the Zimbabwe College of Music (ZCM), Chris Timbe, fired from the college in June last year has singled out Professor Fred Zindi as the architect of his downfall.

Timbe was fired after Zindi, chairperson of the college's board, cited "gross mismanagement", "incompetence and poor performance", among many other reasons. Dorothy Kadzikano is currently the director of the music college.

Contacted for comment Zindi confirmed Timbe was fired for the reasons contained in his letter to him.

"We told him the reasons why he was dismissed and he will tell you everything since we gave him a list in black and white as to why we arrived at that."

But Timbe sings a different tune: "On 12 May 2006 I provoked an issue that led to my ouster. I told a meeting that I was not impressed by the way Zindi was running (the college's) affairs. Things were no longer moving the way they used to when Ben Zulu was chairman of the board.

"It was then that he saw that I was not a 'yes man' and that set the ball rolling. From 1998 to 2000 I was the deputy director and upon good leadership qualities I was promoted to the director of the college. I did not apply for the job. So when somebody tells me that I am incompetent, I find that worrying."

Timbe challenged his ouster in the labour court, which immediately ordered his reinstatement.

He returned briefly to his old office, but left as suddenly as he resumed duties.

"Because the issue is now in the labour court again I cannot give the reasons why I left but I feel I was mistreated. Yes, I was in the office after the court's ruling but I left again."

Timbe said through his lawyers he is now seeking to show everybody that Zindi had a vendetta against him: "There is so much I could say but I do not want to give him ammunition in court. In any case I would prejudice the case."

But Zindi was evasive on Timbe's reinstatement: "The issue is being handled by the college lawyers, so I am not well-versed with that part of things," he said.

In the middle of the conversation he gave the phone to Clayton Ndlovu, a college official. Thereafter, all efforts by Standardplus to contact Zindi on the phone were frustrated: "He just left. In fact, he was in a meeting when you called and I cannot say more," Ndlovu said.

No comments: