Thursday, December 7, 2006

Zimbabwe: Gospel Music's Bright-Eyed Kid

 

Zimbabwe: Gospel Music's Bright-Eyed Kid

The Herald (Harare)

Wongai Zhangazha
Harare

These powerful words capture in a nutshell who Gorden Taurai Nzira is and why he is one of gospel music's bright-eyed kids today.

"I DO what I do because I can."

With a new album -- Seiko? -- that has been hogging the limelight for a few months now, Nzira has risen like a phoenix from a virtually unknown church choirmaster at the Apostolic Faith Mission Greater Grace Assembly in Mabelreign to a highly respected young gospel artiste nationwide.

And to prove just how popular he is, he has been invited to perform at several shows, weddings and parties in the city.

Nzira's music has caused a stir in countries as far afield as South Africa, Namibia and the United Kingdom.

As if that was not enough, he was one of the few artistes who were nominated twice for awards in the Zimbabwe Music Awards 2006.

At 26, Nzira's confidence and determination has confounded the critics, not to mention the "doubting Thomases".

"The way I have been accepted is so amazing. I did not think that my first album could have such an impact. People love my music and I am thankful to the Almighty," said Nzira.

He was inspired by the likes of South Africa's Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Charles Charamba, Oliver Mtukudzi and Ihawu Lesizwe.

The eight-track album that propelled him into the limelight features songs that make the listener nod in sympathy with the beat.

"Most of the songs on my album offer tips on how to win the war against sin and be born again," he said.

Seiko, which features Sani Makhalima, is one of the most powerful songs on the album and is sung in an emotional and melancholy tone with lyrics that have a lasting impact. As one woman commented after listening to Seiko: "No matter how cold-hearted, self-centred and uncaring one is, the song will make one spare a minute to talk to God."

"Seiko is in two parts, the first 'Seiko usingade kunamata?' and the second is 'Seiko usisade kunamata'?"

"Therefore, the song refers to two people -- one who has not sought the word of God and the other who has stopped praying," Nzira said.

Also featured on the album are plug tracks like Izono Zakho, on which he teams up with Otis Ngwabi and Usathane, Chireurura and Uri Wangu, a love song. Listening to Nzira one is tempted to conclude he was raised in a religious family, but this is not the case.

Says Nzira: "I never used to go to church when I was young. Sunday was just like any other day to me. The best I did was watch a gospel programme called 700 Club, which I found very boring."

"I was born again when I was in Upper Six after being invited to a Student Christian Movement and now I'm a member of the Apostolic Faith Mission church," he said.

However, he had a feeling even as a little boy growing up in Nketa suburb in Bulawayo that music was his calling after composing his first song at 11.

"My passion for music started at a tender age when I sang songs done by Black Umfolosi."

Apart from the work and the church environment, Nzira enjoys little outside the refuge of his home in Sunningdale. A homely person who loves his privacy, is how Nzira describes himself.

"To aspiring gospel musicians I say, seek first the face of God and everything else will come.

"It is never too late to repent, people should learn to live according to the will of God," said Nzira.

No comments: